Frequently Asked Questions

Don't see the answer to your question here? Call us at 315-443-2685.

  1. Are there application deadlines and when are they?
    All programs have rolling admissions. However, if you want to be considered for School of Education scholarships, fellowships, or graduate assistantships, you should have your application completed by January 1.

  2. How does the admission process work and how long does it take?
    First, your Application is reviewed by the admissions committee to evaluate your appropriateness for graduate level work, and the match between your interests and our programs. In some cases, an interview with an admission’s committee member may be required. Applicants will be notified about admission within a few weeks.

  3. Are GRE scores required for graduate programs?
    The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is required for all of our Doctoral (Ph.D./Ed.D.) programs, as well as M.S. and C.A.S. programs that lead to teacher certification. Please check the "admissions" page under the program you are interested in to confirm.

  4. Are TOEFL scores required for international students?
    TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are required for non-native English speakers in all Master’s level and Doctoral level programs. The required TOEFL score depends on which test you take.

  5. Can your programs be completed on a part-time basis?
    Programs can be completed on a part-time basis, but preparation programs will have semesters with student teaching requiring full-time study. Students need to be aware they may need to complete their program within a limited amount of time.

  6. Are the extended campus classes held in a different location?
    For convenience in location/parking and specialized facilities, our extended campus classes are primarily taught off campus.

  7. If I have taken courses at another college or on-line, can those credits be transferred?
    Prior to admission, you will work with your admissions counselor and academic advisor to determine if any course from another school and/or on-line course could be transferred in. We look very closely as the school, quality of the program, and course syllabus to determine if you have mastered the material we feel is necessary.

  8. How will I pay for my education? What kinds of financial aid and scholarships are available?
    Numerous sources of financial support are available to Teaching and Leadership applicants.

  9. Do all of your programs lead to NYS Certification?
    Some, but not all, of our Master's degree programs lead to New York State Teacher Certification. None of our Ph.D./Ed.D. programs lead to certification. The following programs do: