Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are there application deadlines and when are they?
Yes, the deadlines for our Master's Programs are: January 15th, June 1st, and October 1st.  Doctoral Application are due by December 1st  for the following fall admission.

Q: How does the Masters admission process work and how long does it take
There are two phases to the admission process.
First, your Application is reviewed by the admissions committee to evaluate your appropriateness for graduate level work, and the match between your interests and our programs. If you pass the “paper” review you will be offered an Interview.
The second phase is a group interview, generally with faculty and doctoral students. Applicants will be notified about admission within a few weeks after the interview phase.
The review process for the completed applications starts on the deadline dates. Due to the fluctuating number of applicants and the workload of the review committee, there is no way to pinpoint exactly how long the process takes. It is however done in a timely manner.

Q: Do I have to have GRE/MAT scores? Can this requirement be waived?
Yes you must have either GRE or MAT scores. This requirement will NOT be waived.

Q: What is the minimum GRE score/MAT score required for acceptance?
We don't have any specific cutoff scores on the GRE and we don't have any hard and fast rules or scoring protocols; we look at the entire application, and evaluate you wholistically. We are interested in seeing if you are a match for our program, and if there is evidence that you will be successful in graduate level classes. Your personal essay will be just as important as the objective information. Our department rule is that GREs need to be no older than 10 years. It is possible to take the GREs on-line now, so you don't have to wait to retake them.

Q: Can your programs be completed on a part-time basis?
Yes, we do allow students to complete their programs on a part-time basis. Students just need to be aware that they need to complete their program within 7 years.

Q: Are any of your courses available as online courses?
At this time we have one course offered online during the summer.

Q: If I have taken courses at another college or on-line, can those credits be transferred?
After admission you would work with your advisor to determine if any course from another school and/or on-line could be transferred in. We look very closely at the syllabus to determine if you have mastered the material we feel is necessary. We also look at the school to see if it is CACREP accredited and at the quality of the program in general.

Q: Do I have to have an undergraduate degree in Psychology?
No, we do not require a specific undergraduate major; however, we do look closely at your transcript to see if you have taken classes that are relevant for counseling. We evaluate each application individually. We are looking for evidence of your ability to do graduate level work, and for a good match between your interests and abilities and the field of counseling. Your essay will be read very carefully to determine if you really understand professional counseling, and if you would be a good match with our program.

Q: As an International student wishing to apply to one of your programs, do I have to take the TOEFL test and what scores do you look for?

Yes the TOEFL test must be taken and the required TOEFL score depends on which test you take. We would like to see a TOEFL score on the iBT of over 100 (600 on written test, 250 computerized test or 7.0 on IELTS). The application will NOT be reviewed without the TOEFL scores.

Q: How will I pay for my education?
Visit Paying For My Education to learn more

Q: I have my Masters Degree from another college; can I take just the 12 credits at SU to get my CAS degree in School Counseling from SU?
Prospective students with a master's in counseling from another institution can apply and be admitted into our CAS in School Counseling program. It is required that you need to take 50% of the 60 credit CAS degree here at SU, meaning that you will need to take 10 classes. Although we do not want to formalize a standard set of required coursework, our CAS program page has a listing of suggested courses.

Q: I did not receive my degree from SU, but I am interested in pursuing additional education to obtain my mental health counseling license. What is the process to complete the necessary courses to attain my mental health counseling license? I was not sure if I could just take the extra classes I need as a non-matriculated student, or if I have to re-apply to the whole program.
In order to be licensed you will need to apply with the State as an individual as they will look closely at your transcript to make sure you met all the content requirements.
You will need to meet all their requirements and have 60 credits. The state will probably also want documentation concerning your internship. You must work with them (not us) to determine exactly which classes you will need, and to make sure you don't need to do another internship. Once you are clear on exactly what they require from you, you can take those classes from us as a non-matriculated student. Visit the State Education Department website to learn more about Mental Health Counselor Licensing.